As many know, this year has been both stressful and devastating with the recent passing of my Wife at the start of December this year. As I sit on my own with a glass of wine and slice of pizza I wanted to say “Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Thank You for your help and support in 2016” to both friends and family during this season of good cheer.
No I haven’t gone soft, and I’m not celebrating Xmas or the New Year for 2016, but I do want to recognise the help and support from everyone who has been here to help us both.
I do want to say that Janice is a private person and didn’t broadcast her illness, at the same time she didn’t hide it. Anyone who asked how she was, would learn the terrible truth.
When the news of her cancer broke, people reacted in different ways.
- Some close friends ran to the hills to never be seen again (Fair weather friends).
- Others kept in touch and said “Hello” from time to time.
- Some of you went over and above to provide help and support, especially during the last few weeks of hospital.
- Two of my friends had suffered their own personal loses and yet with all their added pressure really stepped with support for which I can not thank them enough.
- There are those that gave us the space needed during the final days.
- A few I don’t hear from for months/years at a time are behaving angrily.
- And old friends who learned of this tragic news have shown their regular support.
- Those who were completely unaware of the seriousness of her illness are shocked and devastated.
For everyone that has been supportive, picked up the phone to say hello, dropped an email, a PM or text, thank you, your words and thoughts are encouraging, even if I am a miserable old git.
To friends old and new, don’t be strangers or feel awkward, sometimes it’s the phone call, the simple hello or text that helps me get through these very dark days and thoughts, but also don’t be surprised or take it to heart if I’m an emotional wreck, grumpy or erratic. I’ve never been good at either asking for (or accepting) help, just stick with me and good things will happen I’m sure!